2009/9/2 Uriel <urie...@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Anant Narayanan<an...@kix.in> wrote:
>> Mac OS 10.6 introduced a new C compiler frontend (clang), which added
>> support for "blocks" in C [1]. Blocks basically add closures and anonymous
>> functions to C (and it's derivatives). Full details with examples are in the
>> linked article. I think the feature is quite elegant and might be useful in
>> cases where you want map/reduce like functionality in C.
>
> Er., I might be more dumb than usual, but why on earth would you
> need/want this garbage to get map/reduce functionality in C?
>
> To me it seems the typical "lets come up with some cute 'feature' and
> then we will figure out how to hype ourselves all the way to hell".

I don't see why you'd particularly need / want this in C, but the
argument here seems silly given that you've stressed your affinity to
other languages that implement closures / anonymous functions.

In any case, implementing closures in C isn't too difficult, and if
you want to return a function, just return a pointer to it.

--dho