In article <561059.20730...@web83913.mail.sp1.yahoo.com>,
Brian L. Stuart <blstu...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> >K&R is beautiful in this respect. In contrast, I
>> never managed to
>> >bite in Stroustrup's description.
>>
>> Ok, now I'll get provocative:
>> Then why do so many people have a problem understanding C?
>
>Are you saying that there is a significant number of
>people who understand C++ but not C?  The reason I
>ask is that it's exactly the other way around for me.
>C is a simple enough language that I can understand
>it in the sense of knowing what the compiler is doing
>with my code.  With C++, I have a much harder time
>keeping my head around what's being done with the
>code, and that makes it much harder for me to understand
>the code, much less the language.

I wasn't saying anything, I was asking a question. :)
But if I were to say something, it would include all you
just said and more.  Focusing slightly, most people do have
a problem understanding/using/whatevering C including from
a high level and low level perspective.  Even more focusing,
most people don't know what the compiler is doing with their C
code, even though say C++ usually gets the short end of the
stick on this one (deservingly so, but C ain't 0&, far from
it IMO).
--
Greg Comeau / 4.3.10.1 with C++0xisms now in beta!
Comeau C/C++ ONLINE ==>     http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout