Hi Erik,

Thanks for the reply. I added the authdom and this is what I have now in /lib/ndb/local:

[snip]

ipnet=mynet ip=192.168.1.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0
        auth=carp
        cpu=carp
        authdom=home.net
        dns=192.168.1.254
        dnsdom=lan

authdom=home.net auth=carp

ip=192.168.1.68 sys=carp dom=carp.lan
#sys=carpet dom=carpet.lan

If I remove the ip address for carp I get the same error as before.

With these settings the terminal (carpet) knows carp's address (which it didn't before):

term% ndb/csquery
> net!carp!9fs
/net/tcp/clone 192.168.1.68!564

and I can cpu to carp by:

term% cpu -h carp

or

term% cpu -h 192.168.1.68

If I remove carp's ip from /lib/ndb/local I get the weird error when I try to

term% cpu -h 192.168.1.68

But I can still do this:

term% cpu -h 192.168.1.68 -u bootes

This works for now, but as carp's ip is from dhcp it might change. I'd like this to be more robust so that I can use it on other networks which serve dhcp without changing anything. A bit of zeroconf/ rendezvous would be nice but I'm happy to look up the address on the cpu server console and then type it in manually on the terminal.

are you running auth/factotum (factotum(4))?

I think so. ps | grep factotum returns two entries and /mnt/factotum is populated.

James