> I guess the need for running "configure" first is gone
> here.

Most definitely.  [Editorial comment on configure elided]

> I'm having trouble finding info on how to mount a thumb
> drive.

If you are running usbd, it should detect when you insert
the drive and run usb/disk for it.  This will make the
"disk" available in /dev/sdUn.m/ and the usbfat: script
will mount a FAT partition on such a drive.  See usb(4)
and usbd(4) for more details.

> I don't
> know why since this OS (I might presume) isn't geared
> toward the daily/
> desktop @ home user. Instant messaging,

There is an IRC client or two floating around, and I'm
pretty sure there's a tool to gateway some of the other
IM services through it.  (However, you might need Inferno
for the latter part; my memory is a little hazy on that.)

> burning CD/DVD

Plan 9 has a very elegant approach to burning CDs.  See
cdfs(4) and mk9660(8) for the details.

> Maybe I just love the bunny :) I thought about installing
> the 9tools
> (including rio) right here in my home-sweet-home BSD land,
> but there's
> certainly nothing better than the real thing.

It can be quite useful to do both, and to throw 9vx in for
good measure.  For example, I run FreeBSD on my laptop and
use p9p (9tools) to get a lot of what it has.  Then I run
9vx on FreeBSD to give me what's pretty close to a real
Plan 9 terminal.  Using its -b option, I have it connect
to my file server which is running Plan 9 directly.  9vx
looks like a terminal talking to the file server and also
has access to the FreeBSD name space.  Conversely, using
the p9p tools (and some experimental fs stuff I'm working
on) FreeBSD can see what's on my file server.  It's about
as close as I've gotten so far to being the best of both
worlds.

BLS