> Messy, with high levels of noise-to-signal - certainly... but absolutely,
> astoundingly productive and in constant motion.

In my opinion, most of the output from the Posix developers is trash.
It's the equivalent of a cancer, polluting the body with poisons.
Somewhere in the mix there will certainly be something of value, but
it is well hidden by the bulk of the production.  The few jewels are
also corrupted by the manner in which they need to be delivered,
namely the autoconf stuff.

If you consider things more objectively you will also acknowledge that
very little new is being created, but rather many old things are being
"improved" upon (regurgitated) in manners that consume more and more
computing cycles and deliver less and less performance.

Consider further the following: porting GCC/G++ to a new platform
rather than Linux is almost inconceivable, porting more and more Linux
software to a compiler suite other than GCC/G++ is equally
inconceivable.  If you can't see anything wrong with GCC's bloat, the
dead end it leads to, there is little reason to argue with you.

++L