yes, this started as 8i from russ.  it was renamed to realemu after i
made it into a fileserver providing /dev/realmode and
/dev/realmodemem.  this way i dont have to reimplement aux/vga's vesa
code and it can be used as drop in replacement. (just start it before
running aux/vga)

mkfile is fixed now. will install itself into /$objtype/bin/aux/realemu
and install realemu (8) manpage.

impovement on the manpage is welcome as my english is not so good :)

aux/vga doesnt need to be changed for realemu.  the thing that needs
change is the kernel vgavesa driver to use the file /dev/realmode
instead file instead of calling realmode() directly.  this works with both,
realemu
and the original #P/realmode file.  so it does not break anything.

the patch:

/n/sources/patch/vesa-softscreen-resize

also fixes some some softscreen related mode switching bugs in devvga.c and
screen.c that are unrelated to realemu. (it would crash with #P/realmode too)

i forgot to submit the patch to allow writing the vga framebuffer
(0xA0000-0xBFFFF) with #P/realmodemem:

/n/sources/patch/realmodemem-vgamem

this makes switch switch back to textmode work properly in realemu.

/n/sources/patch/vesa-depth32

still, aux/vga does the channel string generation wrong for 32 bit depth
modes on vesa, but this is a separate patch and has no connection to realemu.

/n/sources/patch/devdraw-initscreenimage-from-isr

fixes kernel panic.

--
cinap
--- Begin Message ---
> for everyone running realemu, please try with the new version to
> see if i broke something.

Why TARG=qi in the mkfile (I would have guessed 8i, but I could be
wrong)? and I think the error:

        term% mk install
        cp 8.out $BIN/qi
        rc: null list in concatenation
        mk: cp 8.out $BIN/qi  : exit status=rc 9367: error

comes from not defining BIN?

Also, there's

        usgae:  ./8.out [-Dpt] [-s srvname] [-m mountpoint]

;-) but I'll gladly submit a man page if you throw a couple of
guidelines in my direction.

That said, I haven't tried it yet.  I'm a little concerned about
aux/vga being altered to expect the emulation in /dev/realmode* and
what it may do if it's not there, which probably merely shows how
limited my understanding is.

I would like to see this type of change find its way into the
distribution permanently, I'll certainly help if I can.

++L

--- End Message ---