On Friday, April 29, 2011 02:04:26 AM Charles Forsyth wrote:
> > [1] For those gnashing teeth over glibc - might want to check out
> > musl libc.  It's no plan 9 libc, but it's definitely "less worse" than
> > glibc.
>
> ``News: As of version 0.7.7, musl has been successfully bootstrapped by a
> third-party system integrator.''
>
> hmm. they had to do more than just compile it?
> a library has to be `bootstrapped'?
> i blame the parents.

Really?

I think it's fair enough to say that your standard library has been
"bootstrapped" upon the first instance of it being baked into a
new platform as the native libc.

https://github.com/chneukirchen/sabotage

On Friday, April 29, 2011 02:18:26 AM Charles Forsyth wrote:
> > complaining is because you _need_ linux... to furnish all the things
> > you can't do with plan 9 - either personally, or within your
> > organization.
>
> it's true, but at least i haven't got to run either Windows or MacOS.
> the underlying problem is that the things we might simply import (mainly
> browser) can't simply be imported. it's not just us: you might have
> noticed that Google's Picasaweb runs under Linux by including a copy of
> Wine as part of its iceberg. also google in any alternative-os list you
> like for a discussion of the hopelessness of ./configure

Icebergs are justified when used as a temporary stop-gap until a native
solution is devised and implemented.  Thus, a webkit environment ("AWE")
seems like a pretty decent compromise until Plan 9 is finally able to treat
the wild wild web like a first-class citizen.

I have no clue how difficult it would be to port webkit to Plan 9 though,
but I imagine it would be easier than writing a pure Plan 9 web browser
engine (html, css, dom & ecmascript) from scratch.

(I just do basic backend web programming and linux systems administration -
so I'm just speculating.)

But then again, why would anyone want a fully functional web experience
on Plan 9 - what would be the purpose?  Apparently nobody does, otherwise
it'd be implemented already.