In article <86y62r9xno.fsf@cmarib.ramside>,  <smi...@zenzebra.mv.com> wrote:
>Anthony Sorace <a...@9srv.net> writes:
>> because it's a huge amount of work. there's a whole pile of standards and
>> pseudo-standards to deal with, the set is ever-growing, the components are
>> ever-growing, and there isn't really a good definition of "correct".
>
>Perhaps there's a "Plan 9" way to approach the problem which might
>involve a "less-huge" amount of work.
>
>Suppose the functionality of each component of the web browser
>architecture were specified with a domain-specific language (DSL).
>Take, for example, CSS.  Translate the English human-readable CSS
>standards into a CSS DSL.  Then, write a compiler to compile the
>constraints specified in the CSS DSL into C code that can be compiled
>with 8c.  Then, when the standard is updated, when a special case needs
>to be added, or when a bug is found, that info would be added to the CSS
>specification written in the CSS DSL.  Recompile to C, compile to
>binary, and you're up to date.  That way, the whole specification
>doesn't need to be implemented directly in $language, and
>updates/modifications don't require additional, tedious, coding.
>
>This approach would require a DSL to be created for each of the
>components of the architecture: HTML, CSS, script, DOM; and a compiler
>would need to be written to convert each DSL into C.
>
>Now, here's the question: Would an apprach using specifications in
>domain-specific languages be easier or harder than porting an existing
>engine to 9?

I think the "less huge" characterization probably leaves this as
an unknown with both being enough of a chore that either will no
doubt challenging and challenging in their own rights.  Personally
I don't know know enough about the web to assess it myself though
I do have observations I'll leave at a cursory level that there
does not seem to be a simple solution.

BTW, why is the above a "Plan 9" specific approach?
--
Greg Comeau / 4.3.10.1 with C++0xisms now in beta!
Comeau C/C++ ONLINE ==>     http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout