On Friday, June 17, 2011 12:57:37 AM Guilherme Lino wrote:
> oh yea a apple R&D from 1989 that justifies everything

Heheh, and you know it's worse even than that. Because, _what_
Apple R&D? Where can I review the tests and measurements - and
the parameters involved thereof - performed in this "cool 50 million
dollar R&D"?

<the remainder of this email is basically redundant to the above point>

The Apple R&D which Tognazzi made vague reference to, is nowhere
to be found in said article. For all anyone knows, there was no
legitimate/valid/verifiable/repeatable "R&D" done by Apple on this
particular subject. 'Tog' was apparently unable or unwilling to provide
any of the actual source material, or in fact in real details whatsoever
concerning the specifics of the research vaguely cited in said article.

In other words, how do we know for certain that users experience
"real amnesia!" when using keyboard shortcuts, and that the mouse
is objectively faster while the keyboard is merely subjectively so, and
that keyboard command shortcuts take users two seconds to perform?

Because that's what Bruce Tognazzini once wrote in a short article circa
1989.

And what's the _actual_ supporting evidence?

A few sentences from... Bruce Tognazzi! ... elaborating on his own theory,
in his own forum.

Do we have any further evidence?

Certainly! A variety of anecdotes from a variety of various people on
various forums and blogs and mailing lists supporting their various
confirmation biases on the matter.

I'd be willing to re-approach the subject: "Mousing is faster than typing
(but users do not believe it)", the moment I'm able to, you know,
review the actual evidence and tests used to support the claim.

Until then, this whole ridiculous farce is all to reminiscent of a glib little
song I was force fed as a child:

The mouse is faster, yes we know; because Tognazzi tells us so.

On Friday, June 17, 2011 07:26:32 AM comeauat9f...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2011, at 5:16 AM, Noah Evans <noah.ev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > .., a bit disappointed that people seem content to rely on intuition
> > rather than measurement to understand the problem.
>
> The assumption that something is fact or obvious I've observed is indeed
> often a common trap many fall into.

It's all very depressing.

):