On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Paul Lalonde <paul.a.lalo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It sounds easy.  But few folks on this list are HCI researchers (I'll tell
> you it's odd going from GPU design to HCI - but it's fun!).
> None of the micro-tasks (mouse vs keyboard) that folks are going on about on
> this list is meaningful to measure.  We know keyboards are good for some
> things, and mice are good for others.  Leaving off my personal religion and
> anecdotes (I use acme as my editor of choice), the only meaningful measure
> is how well the whole system functions for your tasks.  And to really
> measure that you need similar measures of expertise.  So we can compare vi
> to notepad, for example, and find that "keyboard is better than mouse" by
> some measure, but grab an expert acme user vs vi, and perhaps acme comes out
> ahead on some task completions and behind on others.
> There are, however, good models of what various interactions cost - the
> bibilography on doi 10.1145/1978942.1979088 (Bonnie John, "Using Predictive
> Human Performance Modls of Inspire and Support UI Desgin Recommendations")
> is a recent starting point on predictive modelling for interface design
> (that I have in front of me - I know there's better sources).  I'd recommend
> becoming familiar with this literature, and then trying to make the "mouse
> vs keyboard" argument witha straight face.
> Paul

I can imagine that are many different stuff to test and they can be
very complicated, and I am really sorry if I made it look like I find
HCI research is a trivial matter.

By the way, the experiment I referred to as trivial is explained in
http://www.asktog.com/SunWorldColumns/S02KeyboardVMouse3.html.

Best,
iru