> > I hope the Turing award is more widely know in other
> > parts of the world than it is here (a bit sad as I can walk to
> > Bletchley Park from here).
>
> Even Bletchley Park doesn't recognize its own. The real heavy lifting in
> Bletchley's WWII cryptanalysis was not the Enigma stuff but the cracking
> of the much more complex Lorenz cipher by Tommy Flowers & crew. I was
> disappointed in my visit last year to see their building and exhibit as
> an "oh yeah, you can see that too if you want" outside the main tour.
> Just a working recreation of Colossus, as if that might interest
> anyone :(  And that group has to pass the hat to visitors because they
> don't share in Bletchley's funding!
>
> Wes Kussmaul

True. Even the Enigma stuff seems under funded.

And as I was reading this the BBC in the background was busy
discussing something about Kylie Minogue's honorary doctorate in
health science... :-/

I think I must be autistic because I just dont understand the
priorities of most humans...

Perhaps that is why it is such a loss when someone I actually
could relate to is gone.

DMR did give a talk at my university in Sydney when I was there
many years ago. I remember he wore a cap with a propellor on it.

He certainly will be missed.

DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com