On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 6:58 AM, erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net>wrote:

> > I see your point, I guess I can accept that. I still object to the idea
> > of a whole other suite of programs just to run within the editor, but I
> > guess it's immaterial whether the window system is part of the editor
> > or the editor is part of the window system.
>
> right!
>
> i'd also add that a program is much easier to reuse than a function
> within a program.
>
> - erik

Yes, which makes one wonder about type systems in programming languages and
if they're any better than documented conventions of I/O.  (i think they
may not be, but they serve some documentation purposes all their own)

As an example:
I'm a rather big fan of systems like beanstalkd over say an AMQP
implementation because beanstalkd's core is in a line base text protocol,
and you can write a client for it in a shell if you really wanted to (it's
trivial, I've done it in ZSH).   I can't say the same for AMQP
implementations or JMS etc.