Hi everyone - I'm a first-timer here -

I'm thinking of doing a "public domain" implementation (in C) of 9P. I've seen the large listing (on the cat-v site) of existing 9P implementations which are under various licenses, and so in thinking about where those people obtained the required information from, the following questions came to mind -

a) The information *must* have been obtained from the Plan 9 technical docs (specification papers) or the Plan 9 man pages. Can the information in either of these be regarded as being "public domain"? (It would seem to be, given the number of different licenses of the various implementations. They could surely not have taken LPL-licensed code and then converted it to GPL, BSD, MIT......?

It would seem that the proliferation of licenses could only be done if the original source of the information was "public domain". )

b) If the answer to (a) is "yes" - does that include the source-code shown in those papers (and the man pages)?

I've seen the "public domain" implementation of 9P in Python (by Tim Newsham), so I assume he got the required information from the places I've mentioned.

Thanks for your time - looking forward to your replies.
- Andy