> Btw - I clicked on the "copyright" link at the bottom, but the link is dead
> - nothing but a 404 page error.

that's the joke :) plan9 has been considered a dead operating system
for a long time.

from my (admittedly little) experience with 9p implementations, the
ones done "outside" of plan9 code influence were done based on the man
pages and then tested against the plan9 kernel driver. the
implementations that came after Lucent Public Licence 1.0.2 (the
OSS-approved one) all share a few similarities, mostly in structs. I
think they all "gleaned" from Russ Cox's plan9port C code which may
have been used as a reference. the 9p code in the linux kernel, i
believe, doesn't share similarities in its data structs with plan9
(compare p9_fcall with fcall).

I think Tim's py9p came after the OSS approval of the Lucent licence.
I can tell you that Tim's original implementation used an
unmarshalling routine that was definitely not derived from read9pmsg.
it was (is) very python-y.