i have two 9picpu's. they tftp-boot from the auth+fs. the SD is used for
boot loading and the nvram partition. setting up the nvram without a
console is tricky; i thought i'd mention it here in case others run into it.

1. using the existing 9pi SD image, edit config.txt and set 'kernel' to
'uboot.img'.
2. on the auth+fs, build a bcm kernel with nvram partition in the kernel
(i.e. /boot/nvram)
3. create the /cfg/pxe/<MAC> for the box and initially set the nvram
parameter to /boot/nvram.
4. after the first boot,  cpu into the rpi and do the auth/wrkey dance with
'#S/sdM0/nvram'
5. reset the the nvram in /cfg/pxe/<MAC> to #S/sdM0/nvram
6. rebuild the bcm kernel without the nvram
7. reboot the rpi

i've been contemplating making my auth server a 9picpu booting from local,
but SD reliability is the drawback.