> The guy in front of the console should authenticate as a normal user

But you do authenticate to Plan 9 as a normal user. On one node you're
the hostowner, but to the *system* you authenticate as a normal user.
One guy on here lately was actually attaching to his fileserver as
none.
A "system" is more than one of something, computers in this case.

> only be allowed to access his own environment (no direct control over hw,
> etc).

The hardware is part of his environment.

> So, what about multiuser environments, where the guy in front of the
> console is just an arbitrary user, who shouldn't be allowed to access
> everything on the machine (nor disturb other users) ?

Plan 9 is _decidedly_ multi-user. I don't really understand the
question. Which console?

Stuart