> I do wonder if they have got it wrong with the Pi-2 and should have gone
> with
> Gig Ether - Time will tell.

They did not, one of the most common usages of the pi is to decode
h.264 video, which works just fine over the slow ethernet and even via
usb wireless adapters.
Fine means the videos break more often (cant be played due to wrong,
too high encoding) than the network (adapter) in use.

The main advantage of the Pi-2 for the masses will be that they can
finally decode DTS on the pi without having to reencode and remux the
audio on an intel beforehand. Power usage is also just as low as
before (here in europe we have to pay for electricity).

kirkwood had gigabit ethernet way before the rpi even existed and I'm
regularly using multiples of 100Mbit with samba on one, it's super
stable *and* faster which is why I would never pick the rpi for a NAS.
otoh this device doesn't even have video out.