The reason, in general:
In a fossil+venti setup, fossil runs (basically) as a
cache for venti. If your access just hits fossil, it’ll
be quick; if not, you hit the (significantly slower)
venti. I bet if you re-run the same test twice in a
row, you’re going to see dramatically improved
performance. Try it. If that’s true, the question is
really one of venti performance; if not, you may
have another system config issue.

There are various changes you can make to how
venti uses disk/memory that can speed things up,
but I don’t have a good handle on which to
suggest first.

Your write performance in that test isn’t really
relevant: they’re not hitting the file system at all.

I’m not sure why you’d see a difference in a
fossil+venti setup of a different size, but the
partition size relationships, and the in-memory
cache size relationships, are what’s mostly important.