On Sat May 30 21:43:03 PDT 2015, k...@sciops.net wrote:
> Quoting arn...@skeeve.com:
>
> > BWK has said that malloc affects the performance of his awk; I think
> > it's in his README file.
>
> Yes, it was explained to me that plan 9 malloc does useful things instead
> of just shoving things into the first available hole like APE malloc.

instead of guessing, you could see if the pool library's checks are really a
bottleneck.
it is straightforward to add header and tail magic and the callerpc stuff to ape
malloc and run the comparsion again.

otherwise, it seems far more likely that the problem is that quicklicks are
faster than tree allocators.

> I'm reasonably certain Moore's Law has fixed this issue for all
> practical applications, however...

i'm resonablly certain that plan 9 malloc's poor performance has cost me quite
a bit of work.