Quoting erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net>:

instead of guessing, you could see if the pool library's checks are really a bottleneck. it is straightforward to add header and tail magic and the callerpc stuff to ape
malloc and run the comparsion again.

otherwise, it seems far more likely that the problem is that quicklicks are
faster than tree allocators.

I'm not a programmer.

I'm reasonably certain Moore's Law has fixed this issue for all
practical applications, however...

i'm resonablly certain that plan 9 malloc's poor performance has cost me quite
a bit of work.

I was talking about awk, not malloc in all applications.  Sorry if I was
insufficiently precise.  So far I have not been displeased with the
performance of native awk, but I'd be interested in seeing use cases
where it becomes a real-world problem.

khm