>From experience, Sam's command window provides a more consistent
experience with the rest of the system. Acme on the other hand
pretends to have individual command windows (more like command lines)
for every file open. Sam has some form of "tiling", but not as
automatic as Acme. Sam also has a remote editing protocol, unlike
Acme. I liked Sam not only for those reasons, but also because of what
Charles said - you can script Sam with sam -d, allowing it to
integrate into other parts of the system.

It's too bad there has not been a clean rewrite of Sam, like Rob has
mentioned in his paper.