https://upspin.io/doc/overview.md

Upspin provides a global name space to name all your files. Given an Upspin
name, a file can be shared securely, copied efficiently without “download” and
“upload”, and accessed from anywhere that has a network connection.
Upspin can name information from any data service, not just traditional files.
----
Initial impression:

IMHO, its usefulness is integrating a bunch of things. A path has a global user
id (u...@foo.com) as a root, which is looked up in (what I would call) a root
server. From it you find the directory server which stores the metadata for the
remaining path. From this you find the data server where the file or data
source is actually located and an ID meaningful to the server (like qid but can
be a content sha1 sum). The directory server also checks if the requester is
allowed access and presumably gives her a public key of the root user to be
able to decrypt the data.

Clearly, if the source is not an ordinary file, there can be no sha1 sum --
presumably the directory server doesn't care.

The overview talks about the design being geared toward friends and family (ala
Dropbox?) but the only thing I see that would be hard to scale is the fact a
dir tree has an ACL. A dir server may also end up being a bottleneck.

User data can be protected by the owner but the dir server needs to be able to
read metadata such as ACL, data location etc.

Not sure if the design allows for dynamic bind/mount. This would require a more
flexible dir server structure... (I haven't read the code so this is pure
speculation). But I'm wondering if something the CPU command can be
implemented. May be there is a protocol to attach your own dir server.

Renames are probably not handled to avoid atomicity (just speculating). Or may
depend on a dir server.

ACLs are for dir trees. From the syntax it looks like you can add more access
in a sub tree but not remove it.

I'd have preferred a capability scheme instead of ACLs -- need to think more
about this.