The overview doc says the data source can be other than a file. A camera or
twitter feed for example. What seems to be missing is the namespace splicing
(no bind or mount). There is also some talk of IoT sources.

Need to think through this but conceptually I don't see a problem adding this
9p feature back within the same architecture.... A thought experiment worth
doing.

Even for serving named live data decoupling data source/sink from naming can
have value. You should even be able to use a name to take advantage of an
underlying CDN! Or a content tree ala Usenet. E.g. Not all data is directly
served from your camera but from a content delivery network so scaling is not
an issue.

But I need to first read and understand what all they've done!