> does anybody have a version of Rc that allows unquoted equality sign?
>
> having to quote the character get a bit annoying on POSIX systems (plan9port)

You can change the code, I suppose the key file is

        rc/lex.c

You can force rc to setting a variable only if = is surrounded by spaces, like
in sh, but then you'll have a lot of problems in plan9/p9p.

I know what you are talking about.

I like the use of = in rc, but there is too much unix in plan9, and a lot of
programs are straightforwardly ported. An example is gs, making tests with
options in rc is a nightmare.

People say that the problem of Plan9's popularity is the differences with unix,
but for me is the opposite. It try to be different being too much similar.

I remember when I discovered it 4 or 5 years ago. I was so happy with the use
of utf8 as the system own character coding, I was learning C and I was sick
with wchars, multibyte, locales and so on in unix. Then I used troff to write a
paper, and surprise!, there is no utf8 support. And the same with spell and
other utilities. They were pieces of unix, sewed to the corpse... instead of
"Plan 9 from Outer Space", some times It feels more like "Frankenstein".

trebol.