My most current frustration (a bit off topic) is Skype's keystroke
echo latency, whatever the cause. I can't cope with it, yet I have to
use it for employment reasons.

It reminds me that upas with acme Mail is immeasurably faster at
reading and reacting to mail than the bloat I need to use as a mailer:
Thunderbird; and less buggy. Sadly, I could choose my mailer, in this
case, but mailman queue moderation in Plan 9 is just not viable unless
I code my own tool chest for that and I just have too many higher
priority tasks to do that. It nags me, just not enough.

So, why is my main workstation a Plan 9 one?

 I think the most significant reason may well be that a
top-of-the-line Apple laptop is way beyond my means; I rage against
Apple, yet I have seen too many people I respect switch to Apple and
even though I believe the reason is fashion rather than practicality,
I cannot stop the suspicion that the only barrier to me capitulating
too is my lack of funds.

So, that bit aside, a native Plan 9 environment is what I enjoy
developing small prototype tools (software tools), which is what I
mostly do for a living, in Go. Big screen, fast reaction on old
hardware, seamless compilations and testing and, best of all, platform
independence (also "it keeps me honest"). And Go has so many native
libraries, I can play with PostgreSQL or OpenLDAP and many other
foreign services without touching Linux for hours on end (no open
Windows, here, with really, really rare exceptions).

There is a middling list of improvements I would like, some needing
hard work (Go's Shiny), some in  the middle (proper SSH functionality,
native to Plan 9 - I haven't had a chance to mess with Go's options),
and some trivial (vmx is a recent discovery, I haven't had the time to
set up a working, integrated instance of 9front, upas or similar is
the pressing one).

But it all helps me keep my sanity and that makes up for a lot of shortcomings.

Lucio.

--
Lucio De Re
2 Piet Retief St