On Thu, Oct 4, 2018, at 4:44 AM, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 11:23:45PM +0200, Aram Hăvărneanu wrote:
> > > i had been trying to work with a collaborator to develop a complete,
> > > installable system for plan9port.
> >
> > Plan9port is already installable.
>
> aram, by a complete, installable system for plan9port, i meant a
> distribution running the linux kernel, bionic, plan9port, minimal xorg.
> that distribution would be bootable off a usb disk and can be installed
> to your harddisk like any generic gnu/linux distribution.
> it is meant for use by those who want a pure plan9port based system and
> nothing more, initially. later, as demand mandates, i'll add in
> software.

Instance 9000 of shortsightedness in a Plan 9 newbie.  There's nothing strictly
wrong with it, but the attitude here of "this is good and i am doing it and i
am not listening to any reason or question" is unpleasant.  The big question is
"Why?"  It will be less pleasant than running Plan 9 itself, as the user will
have to deal with Linux-spawned ideas of how things should be when configuring
hardware or network filesystems.  After 20 years of Linux use, these are the
parts I *least* want to touch!  It will also be somewhat harder to program,
having to deal with standard C libraries and *probably* gcc or clang.  Don't
just assume you can compile your libc of choice with your compiler of choice
until you've tried it.

> think before you write your emails, you might end up sounding stupid
> otherwise.

LOL!  I needed that laugh, thanks!  Seriously, you failed to make any
distinction between what you want to make and what plan9port already is, you
refuse to think about what you're doing, and then you deliver this insult!
Please at least try to learn how to communicate basic facts about computer
systems before you write documentation for your operating system. :)

Hm... I don't even want to ask if anyone has any current opinions on bionic vs.
musl, any more.  Both of them are for Linux, and Linux makes me shudder.

--
Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden
Nash