ooh, there's an idea for new project...

I also have a soft spot for the old PDP11 architecture and aesthetics, and
like the idea of an emulator sitting behind an 11/70 front panel, but I
havn't been able to decide what software to run on it...

Unix ran quite nicely on an 11/70 back in the late 70s, but I doubt you
would squeeze much more than the boot loader of a modern bloated system
onto one.... And a Unix image from that era would probably be a little
limited. (I don't really have enough history with RT11/RSTS to want to use
them).

So the question is... is plan9 still lean and mean enough to fit onto a
machine with a 64K address space? Doing a port would certainly provide
plenty of opportunity to tinker with the lights and switches on front
panel, and if it the port was initially limited to being a CPU server,
there would be no need to worry about displays and mass storage.... just
the compiler back end and low level kernel support.

Has anyone already looked at that? I expect it would be a fun, educational
and nostalgic exercise, but of course not of much practical use...

Regards,
DigbyT