> via USB and see how it stands up.  But the real question is what
> kind of delay, latency, and jitter will there be, getting that raw
> I/Q data from the USB interface up to the consuming application?

How is your proposal of zero-copy going to help latency? IIRC we have
some real-time thingy, might be able to reduce jitter...
But then I might also ask why you're not doing the most critical path
on an fpga anyway?
Start with identifying your worst bottleneck.

> Eliminating as much of the copy in/out WRT the kernel cannot but
> help

wrong, this design change requires ressources, too, and might gain you
higher complexity. measure first.