hiro writes:

> Does this include demodulation on the pi?

Yes.  At least to a certain extent.  The idea is to get from the
high-birate I/Q data so something more amenable to transmission
over an RS-422 (or -485) serial drop.

One example is for an AIS transceiver on a boat.  By putting the
radio and decoder at the top of the mast, the backhaul can be a
cat-3 twisted pair cable, rather than a much heavier coax run from
the antenna at the top of the mast to the receiver below decks.

Reducing the weight at the top of the mast reduces the moment arm
acting on the boat, significantly enhancing the stability of a
sailboat (which is how I got started down this road to begin with).

--lyndon