> You are exactly correct.  Looks like rsa(8) has a bug in its example
> for generating and installing a fresh key for a remote Unix system, in
> that it says to use:
>
>     auth/rsagen -t 'service=ssh' >key
>     auth/rsa2ssh key | ssh unix 'cat >>.ssh/authorized_keys'
>     cat key >/mnt/factotum/ctl
>     ssh unix

I'm confused.  You're already using ssh to send the new key across.
How do you know this new key is actually working?  It's probably just
using the same authentication mechanism (password?) that allowed the
first invocation to succeed.  As I said in a follow up email, I was
wrong about the role=client tuple.  Factotum ignores this when looking
up entries.