> FWIW in 9front you can jump into rc while booting and fix this sort of
> issue.

Sure, having an in-kernel file system with rc and some tools for
file system exploration and repair is another alternative to having
them on a spare partition or usb drive or whatever. One could even
imagine a community 9p server in the cloud providing a FSRaaS
(file system recovery as a service).

What I was suggesting is that it would be simpler if we could just
run things like ls, du, and rm from a completely full fossil, without
having to reboot or switch into a special environment. It may be as
simple as not trying to update file access times if the partition is full.