On Fri, Jun 25, 2021, at 5:45 PM, adr via 9fans wrote:

> In a multi-user environment you can make the file system do something
> similar when the system is full, but instead of starting a console
> session, delete the last file modified and presenting the user
> an error.

The last file modified could be the log file which documents what went wrong.
;) I thought this through years ago, it's an annoying problem. I think the
current situation isn't too bad. If I remember right, it's much better than
CWFS, but I don't remember too clearly. I do remember my early Linux
experience, trying to arrange several 100-200MB disks in such a way as to have
both Emacs and X installed at the same time. (Impossible!) I was also root all
the time because A: I didn't know what it was, and B: non-root authentication
was broken in that release of that distro and I didn't know how to use the
patch disks. My tiny disks inevitably filled up and somehow I managed to deal
with them. (It helped that I had no data to lose, having just lost everything I
wanted to keep from DOS, but it was still annoying.) It was harder than dealing
with a full Fossil because Linux had no ramdisk at the time, I don't think
there were any live CDs, and Linux didn't yet support `init=/bin/sh`. I don't
think I understood how to start it in runlevel 1, or maybe I did everything in
runlevel 1 so when that went wrong, I had to do something else. Sometimes, I
had to unplug all the drives but the root, edit the boot config to make a
recovery system, plug the drives back in... etc. By comparison, booting a Plan
9 iso and mounting Fossil is very simple and easy! :D It's essentially the same
as how I'd repair any OS with a full disk today. Wonderful things, live-CDs.