As a very long time lurker to the plan9 mailing list, something
occasionally catches my eye strewn amongst the arcana. The very first
computer I ever actually touched was in 1979, it had these state of the ark
mag stripe cardboard cards which held the enormous amount of 2kb. It wasn't
mine, my engineer father brought it home from work and it took up a large
proportion of the dining room table. I was very strictly punished for
laying a finger on the thing, as it was astronomically expensive and my
father was responsible for it. This was just the start of my masochistic
relationship with these fiddly cantankerous things you see.
Over the years I have seen a $5,500 486dx 2 66mHz be reduced to a $25 pile
of junk less than a decade later, a $200 60gb hard drive forlornly sitting
by the side of the road in hard rubbish a decade later, and many other
similar saddening examples.
There of course is a need for using old hardware these days as it seems so
wasteful to just junk something with a 1gHz CPU in it when you fondly
remember your days with a MOS 6510!
If I were completely naive to actually  running plan9 but with many clues
about other operating systems and hardware, would it be better for me to
install 9legacy on some mildly obsolescent but still quite serviceable and
reliable hardware, or start with 9front on something more modern? Is the
learning curve the same for both varieties? Would it help getting to know
9front if I spent a bit of time with her older sister 9legacy? Can 9legacy
be considered the gateway drug to 9front?
I await the scorching flames for my great impudence of interjecting into a
vociferous discussion with such a pragmatic tangent!