..I got distracted..

Quoting this manually to keep posts in order, let me know if that's frowned on.

"you're very close with the sed script. did you see acme's 'Edit' command?
grep -n Edit <{man acme}"

I did, after lots of reading, get things to work this way.  The work-flow is 
impressive in how far it is from what I'm used to.  For the record, what I've 
settled on, following this strategy, is the following:

1) Create a file called ascripts that stands for acme-scripts, in the director 
of interest.
2) Open acme in said directory, and right-click on both that file, and on the 
file I want to edit.  That file goes on the right, under the directory entries.
3) In it, I put, each to a line, the scripts I use regularly.  (so far, only 
1). I also add Edit to the tag.
4) I then select the lines to be block-commented, double-M1 on the first 
character of the script of interest, then M2 on Edit then M1 on Edit with M2 
still down, then release M1 then release M2, and on release of M2, the 
block-comment activates.

..If I've misread the instructions somehow, please let me know!

With respect to Mathieu's comment, I have now tried with an absolute path, and 
it still doesn't work.  I have done chmod +x on the file in question, the 
permissions look right.  I also have all the relevant folders bound to bin, 
following the instructions in "introduction to operating systems abstractions".

I've now put the script basically all over the place, including explicitly in 
/bin itself.  no dice.  I distantly realize that putting it "all over the 
place" is actually not the right solution, since the first one found will 
execute.  What I have now done is a test with | /bin/my_script in the tag-line. 
 And my_script does not have | at the beginning.  Now, if I select all that, 
then M2 on it, or select it with M2, the lines I had selected.. get deleted, 
not commented.  But at least something happens, so that's a step in the right 
direction, right? -_-

On Wednesday, October 07, 2026, at 5:37 PM, Paul Lalonde wrote:
> (I added in the acme & edwood sources right after Look)
..I will have to research this further.  It looks to me like you have mostly 
the same work-flow I described above, so that's cool! :-)
------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: 
https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Td1c9bb890f22e833-M08100bec5244cf5c2233649b
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

Reply via email to