from your example, i'm not so sure why this

        {
                echo select $blah blah';'
                echo $imbibe_rat_urine
        }|mysql --blah-blah

is so terrible.

It's not, but it's still uglier ...

it turns out that you can use a here document in a loop

        ; for(i in 1 2 3)
                cat <<!
                fu
                !
        fu
        fu
        fu

Close, but no coconut.  What does:
        for(i in 1 2 3)
                cat <<!
                $i
                !
do?

but it doesn't work if you use curly braces

Yeesh!  Nice detective work!
I see from later detective work it does work, but not in an obvious way:
IIRC sh slurped all the pending heredocs in orders when the lexer(!) saw an unquoted newline,
which makes much more sense, but not in a syntactic way, IYSWIM.

since nobody's bothered to fix this, it's likely that it's just not used
very much.

You're totally right.
OTOH, looking at rc has given me a bit of a software itch ...
I keep thinking "There's gotta be a neater/cleaner/faster way to do here documents, argument parsing, globbing, ...".

My "need" for a plan9 system to scratch that itch is increasing:-) ...

DaveL