>  One way or another, eventually the current flood of software has to
>  undergo some quality control and at that point it would be good if
>  there were principles by which to "measure" such quality.

Perhaps you should look at this page:
http://www.gnu.org/software/reliability.html
"It is no fluke that the GNU utilities are so reliable. There are good
reasons why free software tends to be of high quality."

We don't need any measurement for free software, because everything
will get well if you just license your software under the GPL.

You must keep ini mind, that even "Cancer Clinic Relies on Free
Software!" It must be all good!

--
hiro