Yeah, both those methods I mentioned will totally erase "everything"
you've added to the computer since you bought it.
I'm not sure what your original problem is, but if you can still boot
into windows you can still back up your music, documents, etc., before
you reformat. Depending on how much music and data you've got you can
put it on a thumb drive, or external hard drive, or even upload it to a
service like DropBox.

I'm guessing the F1 thing you mentioned uses the manufacturer's disk
image that is stored on a hidden partition of your hard drive.  When you
start it by pressing F1 you'll come to some menus asking what you want
to do.  Sometimes it will ask if you want to backup your personal data
before you restore it.  It will copy your data to a part of your hard
drive that won't be affected by the reformat. Then after the restore it
will copy the data back to where you originally had it.  I've seen this
in a few pc's and it worked well. You should be able to safely try the
F1 thing just to see what options you have.  It won't do the actual
"deed" without asking you if you are SURE at least a couple times.

Donk

On 8/20/2013 11:12 PM, Cindi Wass wrote:
> OK, I kind of figured that, but thanks for the second opinion. :-) and for
> another second opinion, I guess that would erase all the music I downloaded,
> too. I'm not sure I want to risk that yet. I had cd's that I downloaded that
> I no longer have the discs of. But -- I may have to do that. Oh well. Thanks
> for your response. I also read that I can press F1 as soon as the computer
> turns on, and then do a system restore without a restore disk. I'm pretty
> sure I kept a restore disk but I'll have to go through all my things.

Thank you for using A-1 Computer TechYahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: