Google makes it really hard to turn off auto-updates for Chrome. It should just be a check box, but they force you to edit the Windows registry to get it done.
Here's a link to a site that explains the registry edit:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/disable-chrome-automatic-updates/
If you scroll down just a bit you will see they have provided a small file that will automatically change the registry key for you. Look for: Registry file to set Chrome to Manual Updates only <http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/reg/chrome/chrome-manual-updates.reg> Download this file. Be sure to close Chrome and any other Google program that might be open. Then right-click the file and choose MERGE. You'll be prompted with an "are you sure?". Click yes, and you should see a message saying the registry has been successfully updated. Hopefully that'll stop the updates.

As for Virtual Memory... VM is really just hard drive space. If XP runs out of free RAM it will start writing data onto the hard drive instead. This is a lot slower than using RAM. And, if your hard drive starts to fill up you'll see the messages of "low virtual memory". The best fix for this is to add more RAM to the PC. 2nd best fix would be to free up hard drive space by uninstall unused programs and deleting unneeded data. As a last resort you can maybe manually enlarge the drive space reserved for your page file (virtual memory) - here's a site that explains how:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5075320_change-virtual-memory-xp.html

Donk