> So the known plain text is a fixed length string, or can it differ
> dramatically.
> If it is somewhat fixed we can ask the members to contribute their
> known plain text into a database in order for others to use.

Not read far enough into GSM 04.08 I see :)

That plain text will depend on the cell you're on. But by establishing
a channel yourself you can gather most of it.

Trust me, I know for a fact that using SI5/SI6 (and SI5bis SI5ter if
applicable) provide plenty of easily generated plain text. Playing
with the CIPHER MODE RESPONSE or the LAPDm ACKs isn't even needed ...

Sylvain