On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 07:21:40PM +0200, Tari Mrkis wrote:
> Thank you for your answer.It was obvious but I couldn't see it...
> I can't see this one too: how do you get from 2^64 keystream space to 2^53
> stored data points?From what I understand from the 2^64 states
> 2^3 states can be excluded due to the fact that after the 100 steps,
> only 16% of the states can exist.

cut a factor of 8 (all invalid states through 100 forward clocks)
cut a factor of 1.5 (because you can find A5/1 states in the neighbourhood
of a match through forward-then-backward clocking that also produces the
keystream that you are interested in)
cut a factor of 204: each LAPDM frame gives you 4*51 64bit long segments
of keystreams which all can produce a match in the table.

2^64 / 8 / 1.5 / 204 = 2^52.7

now that ignores the collisions that exist between a large number of the
states in the table, but that is a different question, and you also cannot
expect a 100% success rate for the same reason.

the number of states in the tables is 6.2B * 2^15 * 40 of which a fraction
are collisions. i cannot say how many there are, but i know that
i threw away 2 billion chains per table because a collision happenen under
the same round function and produced a chain merge.