John Chambers says -

>And now Bruce is part of the cabal that's inflicting  its
>own ideas about ABC on the poor, oppressed user community.

Maybe that's what he was trying to distance himself from.

>So now he will be subject to
>all the usual criticism for hist  dictatorial  infliction  of  useful
>software on users who weren't consulted about it beforehand.

Well he has co-opted the J: command.  I hope nobody had any plans for that.
On the other hand, he has introduced a sharps and flats key signature so
presumably "We who like it the way it is" will be down on him like a ton of
bricks.

>Maybe we should tell Bruce about the secret handshake ...

When I launched abccheck, Phil Taylor told me that since I was now a
developer I was entitled to vote.  Can I have the handshake as well?

Wil Macaulay says -

>If you are using abc as an output format, you are well advised
>to use a lowest-common-denominator form.

Anybody else care to comment?

>Should we stop the production of $50 guitars because they don't sound as
good?

YES!!
But seriously, are you saying that because you're doing it for free you don't
take pride in the quality of your work?  If you are doing it for the love of
it, the result should be better than commercial mass production.

>I can honestly say that if I didn't see some programming issues that I don't
>know how to solve right away, I wouldn't be doing this.

So routine but dull things that might actually be useful don't get done?

Thanks for the advice Will; that's what I'm doing, or would be if I wasn't
wasting time arguing with people who seem to disagree with everything I say
on principle.  In the meantime, I'd like to use Voices; which of the
incompatible versions of the V: command should I use?  I'd like to be able to
process chords; how can I reliably recognise whether something between double
quotes is a chord or not?  (Absence of  ^_<> or @ isn't enough.)  How can I
use the !symbol! notation when it clashes with abc2win's use of ! ?

All I'm asking for is a more cooperative approach, for developers to take a
bit more notice of what other developers are doing and to take a bit more
interest in what the non-programming user wants.  Are you really arguing
against that?

Enough.  I've got work to do.

Bryan

(Hmmm.  Perhaps if I came out in favour of one of the V: formats......