Phil Taylor wrote -

>All extensions start out as program-specific.

Why?  Why shouldn't they start out as proposals for discussion and feedback
from other developers and even users?  That way the idea might be improved on
and clashes avoided and the resulting definition included in the standard for
all to see.

>If they turn out to be useful they get adopted by other programs.

If other developers can be bothered, can find any documentation, aren't
openly hostile to the person who originated it, can work out which of the
several versions is the definitive one.  (When I asked which version of V: I
should use, I was told to stop whining.)

>The w: field for words started in abc2ps and is now supported by most
programs.
>M:none started in BarFly.

Well, at least these made it into the draft standard.

>middle = started in Muse and is now supported by BarFly.
>Use of abc for Gregorian chant notation started in BarFly and is now
>supported by Melody Assistant.

Which these didn't.

>Multivoice abc using V: started in abc2midi and (at least in its basics)
>is now supported by most programs.

In at least two incompatible versions (see above).

But who gives a *@%$ about them?

>that seems to be the way that the language progresses.

But it doesn't have to be.  What is the standards committee for?

I notice that in your list of examples you don't include the !symbol! syntax
which is in the draft standard but, judging by a recent exchange, you are
very unlikely to implement in BarFly.

Bryan