    Guido> I've transcribed some short tunes with my Palm. I'm using PalmABC without an
    Guido> external keyboard, and IMHO it's simply a pain. It's *very* slow, compared
    Guido> to a real keyboard. I have tried to come up with some ideas, but unless
    Guido> someone writes a dedicated editor for PDAs I don't think there are
    Guido> alternatives.

With the keyboard, it isn't too bad.  I was going a lot slower than I
do on my regular system, but that was a combination of the heat making
everything slower and the keyboard having a different enough feel that
I was typing a lot of double characters, and not knowing the editor.

I did both entering as text in wordsmith, and entering in PalmABC.
I'm not sure having the playback in PalmABC is worth it in my
circumstances; the playback is very soft, and there seems to be a
problem with getting the whole (short) tune played.  The fonts are
more readable, and there are probably more editing options (which I
haven't learned yet) in wordsmith.

In any case, there isn't a problem getting the abc back to the system
in linux. I do my regular backup.  Then, for the wordsmith doc, I run
"text2pdbdoc -d".  The PalmABC database isn't a doc file, but I found
that running "strings" on it produces the ABC with very little
extraneous stuff.

--
Laura (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574