----- Original Message -----
From: "Henrik Norbeck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
This is a confusion of key and mode. If, as in the original example,
we have K:D %Edorian we don't have the right key! The right key is
*not* D, it is "two sharps" or "f# c#" to be more precise.
D means that the final (or tonal centre or whatever you want to call
it) of the tune is the note D and the mode is ionian or major (which
is the most common mode in western European music and
therefore the default mode).
They actually teach you wrong at school...