Henrik Norbeck writes:
| Laurie Griffiths wrote:
| > "Melody note first" pretty much demands "shortest determines length" (or
| > else some new mechanism such as numbers after the close bracket) because the
| > melody note may be longer than the accompaniment.
|
| Very good point.

Indeed.  It sounds like the most useful rules would be:

1. The first note in a chord is to be considered the melody
note  by programs that need a melody note.  The rest of the
notes may be given  in  any  order  without  affecting  the
meaning.

2. A chord may have a length after the closing ']'. This is
used  to  determine when the next note or chord starts, and
may be different from any or all of the chord's notes.

3.  If there is no such chord length, the chord's length is
the length of the shortest note.  Longer notes will overlap
with whatever comes next.

This would mean that I'd need to hunt down and  modify  the
cases  where  I've "taken advantage of" abc2ps's use of the
first note's length as the chord's length.   I  don't  mind
doing  this,  since the above rules do make a lot of sense.
But I'd rather see a consensus on this first,  so  I  don't
have to redo them all again later.