John Chambers wrote:

>This looks like the "labelled bar line" syntax that some abc programs
>(including  abc2ps)  accept.   But  the  quoted  bar  label should be
>immediately before the bar line. I think abc2ps requires that you use
>a  backslash if you want to have a line feed after the quoted string,
>so it should be written:
>
>"Variations:"\
>|:~A3 AGA|AGE GDG|ABA GBd|edg edB|~A3 AGA|AGE G2B|dBA G2B|dBG B/c/dB:|
>
>This effectively puts the quoted string immediately  before  the  bar
>line.   Maybe  you  could add a kludge to pretend there's a backslash
>after such quoted strings when they come at the end of a line.

Yes, it's not difficult to do.  Just the usual question as to whether
I should annoy my users by enforcing the standard strictly, or further
encourage the spread of variant abc syntax by letting it pass.

By the way, John, I'm currently getting two copies of each of your
messages to this list (with identical headers).

Phil Taylor