Manuel Reiter writes:
| > Go to
| > http://www.musicaviva.com/abc/abcyclopedia/view.tpl?kw=Special%20characters
|
| Great, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.
|
| Unfortunately, the hacek and breve accents did not seem to work with my
| versions of either abc2ps or jcabc2ps when I tried them yesterday
| (guessing, then), they were just rendered as 'u' or 'v' preceding the
| would-be-accented letter. I'll have to check versions when I'm back home,
| but if anybody knows off the top of their head which abc2ps clones can
| handle these, I'd be grateful for the hint.

You're right.  I've been wanting this from  the  beginning,
and I've even used notation like \^s and \^c in a few tunes
with  the  hope  that  I  would  eventually  learn  how  to
implement it in my abc2ps clone. It's been a few years, and
I still have no clue whatsoever.  On my  home  printer  (HP
LaserJet  4L),  I  once  saw  it  produce  a Polish slash-l
character, which is a hint of a possibility. But I couldn't
reproduce it.  The manual doesn't help me.

The original abc2ps, and probably all clones,  will  accept
just  about  any 8-bit bytes and pass them on to a printer.
But they're just 8-bit bytes, and what comes  out  is  what
the  printer  decides  they should look like.  I don't know
whether PostScript  (or  PDF)  even  has  a  way  to  doing
anything  different.   PS just contains text as a string of
bytes.  What they look like is determined by what you  feed
the file to, and what fonts it has installed.

I don't know if there's  any  way  for  a  program  on  the
computer to know how to make a specific 8-bit byte come out
on paper as a particular glyph.  The problem here  is  that
abc2ps  just  produces  PostScript.  It can't possibly know
what you're going to do with  that.   It  can't  query  the
printer  to  see what fonts are installed, because it can't
know what printer you are going to use, if any.

Consider, for example, my Tune Finder, which can return  PS
files.   Presumably  you  are going to print them, or maybe
feed them to a PS display program.  How would a CGI  script
on  my server query your printer or PostScript renderer for
its list of installed fonts?

This is a rhetorical question, of course. You'd better hope
that my script can't query the hardware on your machine. In
fact, it probably can't connect to your machine at all.  If
you're  behind any sort of firewall, this would be blocked,
is as it should be.  And even if it could get in, it  still
has  no way of knowing what you'll do with a PS file, so it
doesn't know what to query for a font list.