Bernard Hill writes:

| >U: + = trill
|
| Shouldn't that be
|
| U:+=!trill!
|
| ?

Well, we've had a bit of a discussion of that.  It  seems  that  some
people  would  agree  with  you, while some others would vociferously
disagree.  There seems to be abc around that use both syntaxes.   I'd
suppose that the answer would be that the bangs are optional.

One question is whether there are examples where it actually makes a difference.
If the U line allows for arbitrary text substitution (as the C #define
does), then there is a difference.  One might like to define something
like:

U: R=!segno!|:

That is, the symbol expands to a string that includes  an  annotation
plus  some other symbol.  If U defines simple string substitutions, I
don't see any reason not to expect such definitions. I know that in C
this sort of thing is quite useful.

OTOH, we could both allow this, and also allow dropping the bangs for
the case of standard musical symbols.