    Phil> That doesn't work in BarFly either.  The alignment is
    Phil> disrupted because bar lines in the lyric are treated as
    Phil> words.  Also because neither the program nor I knows what \-
    Phil> means.  (It's not one of the TeX escape sequences, and if it
    Phil> means the hyphen is to be treated literally why bother,
    Phil> since the hyphen gets displayed anyway?)  After editing
    Phil> these oddities out it displayed correctly.

I don't think you should consider either of these as an oddity.
The draft standard (1.7.6) lists them as commands that should be
parsed:

$ Within the lyrics, the following words should be separated by one or more
$ blank spaces and to correctly align them the following symbols may be used:
$
$ -       break between syllables within a word
$ |       advance to next bar
$ _       (underscore) last syllable is to be held for an extra note
$ *       one note is skipped (i.e. * is equivalent to a blank syllable)
$ ~       appears as a space but connects syllables each side into one
$ \-      appears as - sign in output.
$ \       continuation character; next w: field is part of the same line

--
Laura (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574