>I don't know if whatI'm about to suggest has been suggested
before,/.../
> it's fairly clear to me that the real key to
>writing any new specification is adding some identifier that says
that the tune
>conforms to the new specification.  For example, maybe something
like:

>%%ABC3.0
>
>...anywhere in a tune's header will indicate that the tune's
encoding
>conforms *strictly* to the ABC version 3.0 (just an example
version...)
>specification

yes, it has already been requested before. As an ABC user, I
totally agree with the idea, and I would include such a comment in
all my tunes (that conform to it) if it enters in the standard.
But the general answer about such an identifier is that "no one
would bother adding it", "you can implement it but only 5 % users
would use it" etc.
I don't see were is the problem. If some pple don't mind their
tune won't be well played / displayed in most advanced
application, and if they don't wish to add the level of abc used
1.6, 1.7 or 2.0, it'd be only their own fault.

>If it's present, though, you can parse it strictly to the
>3.0 specification -- no deviations allowed.

it will allow to give responsibilities to pple who wish it this
way, so I find it positive and more logical.